If you’re hoping for a new roommate, you comprehend that it can be hard to identify the perfect one. You aspire to have someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How can you know for sure that you’ll discover the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to easily help you out!
- Define what you’re wanting for in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and use it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Be certain to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you displeased and miserable ), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. Notwithstanding you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s additionally relevant to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it too hard to detect and find a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You quite possibly know more people than you realize who might also be seeking a roommate. Hence, the best place to start is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and check if you already know someone who might make a perfect roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you are looking for a roommate could end up with you identifying someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone inquiring about a roommate, it’s alright! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to rent and live in. Also take note, since your friend or family member also knows you, they will be able to recommend someone you would get along with pretty well.
- Use social media. To amplify and expand your search, try using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let people know you’re seeking a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and be careful giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re endeavoring and struggling to find a roommate on your own, there are services at hand that can be helpful. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Various services operate in different ways, and there may also be fees involved. Make it a point to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve met and talked with some potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your final call and choice! If you’re trying to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would most properly fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.